Peppermint Iguana don’t do festivals, if they did they would look a bit like Surplus Fest.
In the last four years they have held six festivals at three different locations. This year they return to the same site as last year, having struck a good relationship with the landowner after the 2016 event.
Surplus is an old skool event, organised by underground festival heads, for underground festival heads. They are all volunteers and the priority is having a good time whilst providing a space for the tribe to gather, rather than making a fast buck.
With bands and DJs spread over five stages, the line us is a veritable who’s who of the festival underground, including Radical Dance faction, Hawklords, the Omega Tribe, AOS3, Tribazik, Kilnaboy, Clusterfuck, The Sporadics, Dub the Earth, The Autonomads and Lacertillia.
Whilst there will be enough crusty-ska-punk-dub-stoner-rock-legends to keep the keenest of brew crew happy – and their dog – there will also be plenty of new music to discover, such as welsh outfits Captain Accident and the Disasters, the Chalk Outlines and the Biggest Things Since Powdered Milk, alongside Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters from that London and Cornwall’s Cybernetic Witch Cult.
In short, this is set to be one of the best festivals of the summer.
On 20th June 2017, the eve of the summer solstice, three of the disorganisers of the festival, the Boy Fry (singer with Lacertilla and all round mover and shaker on the UK stoner rock scene), Steve Speed (techno head and trouble maker) and Torrie (old git, veteran scrap merchant from 2,000 Dirty Squatters and general rouge) joined us in the studio for a special radio show.
The result of that two hours of mayhem can be heard again by clicking on the cloudcast thingy below.
1. Surplus People: BY RDF
2. Scrap the church; BY 2,000DS
3. Go: BY THE DEFEKTERS
4. Spirit of 77: BY AOS3
5. 99% Uprising: BY BLACKSTAR DUB COLLECTIVE
6. Stonehenge pig bastards: BY BUFF
7. Last pain to skasville: BY PAIN
8. Fire up the engine of god: BY LACERTILLIA
9. Besties: BY CLUSTERFUCK
10. Awake for a reason (Slamfish remix): BY THE DHARMA VIOLETS
11. Living in a field: BY REALITY ATTACK
12. Government whores: BY TREVOR’S HEAD
13. Daily routine: BY BENJI 303
14. Coppers in the dance: BY THE AUTONOMADS
15. Broken Britain: BY THE SPORADICS
16. Back from the light: BY THE SKRAELINGS
17. Money people: BY CAPTAIN ACCIDENT
18. Molten: BY TRIBAZIK
19. Devil’s buttermilk: BY CHUBBY THUNDEROUS KUSH MASTERS
20. Smash it dub: BY DUB THE EARTH
21. Is this the future: BY THE OMEGA TRIBE
22. Something wrong with the right: BY THE CHALK OUTLINES
23. Shoeburyness: BY BLACK LIGHT SECRET
24. Byker Hill: BY KILNABOY
25. Hurry on sundown: BY HAWKWIND
First broadcast on 20th June 2017 on www.dapperfm.co.uk
High five to our sponsors, www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
Our next show goes out on the eve of the summer solstice and will preview the forthcoming Surplus Festival, which takes place in South Wales, 30th June to 2nd July.
Festival organisers Torrie, Fry and Speed will join us in the studio talk about all things Surplus and spin some of the bands and DJs that will be performing over the weekend.
The festival is basically a who is who of the current festival underground and has more of our favourite bands than you can shake a stick at. It is going to be hard work working out who we can leave off the play list.
Expect The Defekters, Black Star Dub Collective, 2,000 Dirty Squatters, Lacertilla, Clusterfuck, AOS3, P.A.I.N. Radical Dance Faction and much much more (so long as the Torrie and gang stop talking long enough for us to play some music)
To listen live, go to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm o’clock hours till about 10(ish) on Tuesday 20th June 2017.
As the ballots papers were rolling in, hoisting Theresa May by her own petard, Public Service Broadcasting were in Ebbw Vale, launching their new album. ‘Every Valley’ reflects on the decline of industry in the valleys. Some would argue the decline was hastened by the last female Tory Prime Minister.
The timing was pure coincidence, the gig had been planned well before the snap election had been called, but the irony could not be ignored.
As usual, our most recent show featured bands we have recently caught live, bands we are going to see in the next two weeks and some stuff relevant to current affairs.
But sadly, we had to kick off with a tribute to long time friend of the iguana Tribe, Anne Nicholson, who slipped away to the great after party in the sky on Monday 5th June. Anne was an inspiration and wise head to the many of us who knew her and will be sadly missed.
To listen again, click on the mixycloud thingy below
1. Baka: BY OUTBACK
2. One love Utah Saints remix: BY STONE ROSES
3. Dub scientist: BY HEADJAM
4. This town: BY THE SKINTS
5. Ravin raven: BY THE INEXPLICABLES
6. Festival twenty three; BY THE SPORADICS
7. Fatman: BY REGIME
8. My back is fucking fucked: BY PIZATRAMP
9. If you bomb somebody: BY DAVID ROVICS
10. Doesn’t make it alright: BY STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
11. On the goulash: BY COSMO AND FLAPSANDWICH
12. Taco: BY SMERINS ANTI-SOCIAL CLUB
13. Dear fear: BY THE EXCELLENT SKELETONS
14. Brothers on the slide: BY CYMANDE
15. Earn your stripes: BY CAPTAIN ACCIDENT
16. Nationalism: BY QELD
17. Elfstedentocht: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
18. Luciano Ponzetto: BY GRAND COLLAPSE
19. Liar liar GE2017 mix: BY CAPTAIN SKA
20. Where were you: BY THE MEKONS
21. Too far gone: BY THE WITCHES DRUM
22. Space shanty remix: BY LEFTFIELD
23. Do we really need a government: BY CAPITAL LETTERS
24. Strictly dub: BY DENNIS BOVELL
Originally broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on 6th June 2017
High five to our sponsored, www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales