You can’t keep a good man down. Or a bad one for that matter. After six weeks off air, we returned to the airways on 1st May, with our first show from the brand new Dapper FM studio, to prove that we will indeed keep on keeping on.
Listen to the show again below innit.
Keep on keeping on: BY THE REDSKINS
Evil Spirits: BY THE DAMNED
Talking and singing: BY GRANT PHABAO AFROFUNK ARKESTRA
Buru Saturday: BY DUBMATIX
Black Heaven: BY EARTHLESS
Cougar rock by ZEKE
A warning dub: BY THEIVERY CORPORATION
Mad World: BY KING TUTS REVENGE
Bar stool preacher: BY THE BAR STOOL PREACHERS
Just begun: BY LEGO EDIT
Keep it clean BBC session: BY THE VIBRATORS (PEEL SESSION JUNE 77)
West one shine on me: BY THE RUTS
Octane twisted: BY PORCUPINE TREE
Subject to status: BY PITCHSHIFTER
Live life love demo: BY LAST TREE SQUAD
Boombassa: BY SUBGIANT
The windrush: BY CAPTAIN SKA
Bloodstains: BY AGENT ORANGE
Brain in a jar: BY CHINA SHOP BULL
Come as you are: BY NIRVANA
The man that never was: BY RICK SPRINGFIELD AND DAVE GROHL
Our 16th January show went down a storm, we had hippies in Cwmcarn dancing whilst pickling Beetroot, gig photographers in Surrey sat in their van and anarchists from Newport sat in their mother’s front room.
We also paid tribute to fallen stars, hot pre-releases and a preview of our gig in Le Pub on 10th February. Mel and Magnus of that Tarantism Folk Disco, who be playing that gig, will be dropping in to take over our next show on 30th January.
To hear what it sounded like, pour yourself your favourite tipple and click on the linkety link below
Ace of spades: BY MOTORHEAD
The sun, the moon: BY GOAT
Riding east: BY DUBMATIX WITH SLY AND ROBBIE
Death race: BY CLUSTERFUCK
Free spirits: BY MERCURIUS RISING
Disrespect: BY THE DEFEKTERS
Brickfield nights: BY THE BOYS
Soldiers of dub: BY DUBALIZER
El doggo speaks out: BY THE DOG FACED HERMANS
Nostrovia: BY SCUM OF TOYTOWN
Everybody’s boogie: BY DOMMENGANG
Flesh eater version: BY BEANNIE AND THE CO-OPERATORS
With the Winter Solstice around the corner we thought it appropriate to get into party mose so for this show we got loads of choons you can dance to, from ska, folk and punk to full on afrocelticdubdiddlyfolkravecore.
For good measure we chucked in a few alternative seasonal choons, a sneak preview of what is coming your way from Merthyr Rising 2018, some good causes to donate to this christmas and the announcement ofthe first PEPPERMINT IGUANA GIG in many years
Listen again below
Crash and burn: BY EAT STATIC
Skank for Christmas: BY BIG REEL FISH
Walk this land: BY THE EZ ROLLERS
Babylons burning: BY ZION TRAIN
Area code: BY DREADZONE
Hell in M13: BY THE AUTONOMADS
Sons and daughters: BY CAPTAIN SKA
The house that austerity built: BY BEANS ON TOAST
Donkey jaw: BY KING KONG COMPANY
Alcoholic drinks: BY FAB SAMPERI
At home for Christmas: COSMO AND FLAPSANDWICH
I don’t want an i pad: BY SKINNNER AND TWITCHETT
Byker hill: BY KILNABOY
Mr Trump: BY BAD SAM
Cheese and bread: BY DAVID ROVICS
Won’t buy it: BY REGIME
Baneswell express: BY GOLDIE LOOKIN CHAIN
Sex and drugs and rock and rol: BY IAN DURY AND THE BLOCKHEADS
To help Dapper FM celebrate ten years on air, on 5th December we embarked on a three hour radio odyssey showcasing as many of our mates as we could.
No golden oldies or hidden gems just mates from the DIY underground. It was impossible to fit all of our mates on, so apologies for those that missed out. However, a few of those missing from the list can be found on our round up of 2017 show and there will be more on our festive knees up on 19th December.
Putting the play list together was quite humbling. We feel privileged to count so many damn fine creative musicians in our extended Iguana family. Our hats off to you all.
So, if you want to hear the show again (and you do, trust us) check out the mixycloud thang below
Rise up: BY THE MOB
Dr Benway: BY HEADJAM
Electro tribal: BY SAMP DEAP
Dissident dub: BY BLACK STAR DUB COLLECTIVE
Union man: BY THEE FACTION
Strike occupy resist: BY COSMO
Hard times: BY THE SPORADICS
Black dues: BY DREADZONE
Mercurius rising: BY MERCURIUS RISING
All my friends: BY THE BREWERS DAUGHTER
All my friends are freedom fighters: BY EFA SUPERTRAMP
Freedom fighters: BY SPANNER
Uncontrollable: BY THE REBEL SPELL
Kick out: BY BACK TO THE PLANET
Dubrevolution: BY THE DEFEKTERS
I drank the levellers rider: BY TARANTISM
Dirty field whore: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
Millionaires: BY PHAT BOLLARD
Money is not our god dub: BY KILLING JOKE
Last of the high rollers: BY SUNS OF THUNDER
Barefoot in the car park: BY SUZI CHUNK AND THE GROOVY UNCLE
Liar liar 2017: BY CAPTAIN SKA
Jah war dub: BY RUTS DC
Tottenham three: BY AOS3
Smash it dub: BY DUB THE EARTH
Surplus people: BY RADICAL DANCE FACTION
Sky high: BY CULTURE SHOCK
Arcade perfect: BY SONIC BOOM SIX
Heaven’s wrath: BY INNER TERESTRIAL
Riot sound system: BY PRIMEVAL SOUP
Too far gone: BY THE WITCHES DRUM
I loves the port: BY BAD SAM
I love reggae: BY DIRTY REVOLUTION
Trojan city love: BY DUB CITY ROCKERS
Stay free edit: BY THE CLASH
As usual, high five to our sponsors, UNISON, the union for public service groovers
This ‘Selected highlights of 2017’ show is a bit unique, having been broadcast not once, but twice!
“How can that be?” we hear you cry. Well, it was first broadcast on Tuesday 28th November, but after the show finished we managed to break the station and loose the recording. Normally we would just shrug our shoulders and move on. But this was a reflection on some of the year’s best choonage with a rather splendid play list. So we decided to do the show again with the same play list.
On 21st November the legend that is Captain Paranoid joined Peppermint Iguana in the studio for a very special radio show.
Pick a few songs we said. The next thing we knew we had a massive thirty eight track play list and he could not make up his mind which ones to loose. He was even arguing with musicians he has collaborated with over which version of his own songs to play.
We were well over an hour into the show before we finally worked out what the play list was going to look like. But hey, this is what happens when working with people who are all consumed by music and are filled with passion and emotion. It was memorable. To say the least.
To listen to the show again click on the cloudcast below – and below that is what we think the play list was – even now it is hard to keep up with what went on!
Capitol Radio two: BY THE CLASH
Lust for life: BY IGGY POP
Naked: BY TERRORIST BALLET DANCERS FROM HELL
Fight the power: BY PUBLIC ENEMY
Intergalactic: BY THE BEASTIE BOYS
Masses: BY CHARLES BUKOWSKI
Sex and bombs: BY CAPTAIN PARANOID AND THE DELUSIONS
Revolution: BY GROUNDNATION
Typical girls: BY THE SLITS
Words of advice for young people: BY WILLIAM BURROWS
Snake eyes: BY CAPTAIN PARANOID AND THE DELUSIONS
Five and dime: BY CAPTAIN PARANOID AND LARRY LOVE
Doves cry: BY BE GOOD TANYAS
Another girl another planet: BY THE ONLY ONES
The war song demo: BY SUCKAFISH AND CAPTAIN PARANOID
Punk from Myanmar, spaced out psychedelic jams from Japan, tribal folk from Cameroon, Ska Punk from Netherlands, hard-core punk from Russia, Dub from France and stoner rock from Cardiff. All in a day’s work at Peppermint Iguana.
Yes, we were back swimming against the tide and beyond the mainstream once more on 24th October. To listen to the show again, check out the cloudcast below
On the 10th October we hit the hit the airwaves once more for a show full to overflowing with hot new releases, and demos.
Throughout the summer we have been concentrating on the UK festival scene, showcasing the bands playing the best of the underground gigs. But the season is finally over. Tents are now being stuffed into attics for the winter, lightweight caravans are being put in storage and hardcore trucks are heading for the sun.
So for this show we caught up with some of the demos and freebies we have had sent to us through the summer, but not got around to playing. Despite cocking up the advertising for the show, twice, forgetting to take our glasses into the studio and leaving the iguana phone back at HQ, it was a blast.
To listen again, check out the cloudcast below innit like
Watch out for our next show, which will be an end of festival season party – with guest host Gail Something Else – who will be along to talk about this year’s Something Else in the Dean Festival, which will close the season in style.
With the dust of surplus festival barely washed off, and us still trying to account for our lighters, there was no time to waste, it was back in the saddle for a post Surplus virtual after party radio show on 4th July.
We also previewed some of the other festivals coming up and gave some brand new releases an airing.
To listen again, check out the cloudcast below.
Planet Claire: BY THE B52s
Holiday in Cambodia: BY CHINA SHOP BULL
Mercurius rising: BY MERCURIUS RISING
BOTHER Bother: BY JO CARLEY AND THE OLD DRY SKILLS
People will always need coal: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
Electro rays remix: BY BACK TO THE PLANET
This is the place: BY COMBAT WOMBAT
Anarchists make the best lovers: BY THE BUS STATION LOONIES
What ya gonna do remix: BY THE LAST TREE SQUAD
Private revolutions: BY CULTURE SHOCK
Nation none the wiser: BY JOE YORKE
Brain smashing dub: BY LINTON KWESI JOHNSON
Open up: BY THE WITCHES DRUM
Something inside me: BY THE BIGGEST THING SINCE POWDERED MILK
Cheap bacy: BY COSMO AND FLAPSANDWICH
Sonic reducer: BY ARMY OF SKANKS FEATURING PHIL PAIN
Fool’s paradise: BY BENDER
How can you keep on moving: BY RORY McLEOD
Get your hands off them: BY CISTERN FAILURE
Death of European industry: BY BENG BENG COCKTAIL
Fairy fails: BY CARA MEANS FRIENDS
Mother of the village: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
Peppermint Iguana don’t do festivals, if they did they would look a bit like Surplus Fest.
In the last four years they have held six festivals at three different locations. This year they return to the same site as last year, having struck a good relationship with the landowner after the 2016 event.
Surplus is an old skool event, organised by underground festival heads, for underground festival heads. They are all volunteers and the priority is having a good time whilst providing a space for the tribe to gather, rather than making a fast buck.
With bands and DJs spread over five stages, the line us is a veritable who’s who of the festival underground, including Radical Dance faction, Hawklords, the Omega Tribe, AOS3, Tribazik, Kilnaboy, Clusterfuck, The Sporadics, Dub the Earth, The Autonomads and Lacertillia.
Whilst there will be enough crusty-ska-punk-dub-stoner-rock-legends to keep the keenest of brew crew happy – and their dog – there will also be plenty of new music to discover, such as welsh outfits Captain Accident and the Disasters, the Chalk Outlines and the Biggest Things Since Powdered Milk, alongside Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters from that London and Cornwall’s Cybernetic Witch Cult.
In short, this is set to be one of the best festivals of the summer.
On 20th June 2017, the eve of the summer solstice, three of the disorganisers of the festival, the Boy Fry (singer with Lacertilla and all round mover and shaker on the UK stoner rock scene), Steve Speed (techno head and trouble maker) and Torrie (old git, veteran scrap merchant from 2,000 Dirty Squatters and general rouge) joined us in the studio for a special radio show.
The result of that two hours of mayhem can be heard again by clicking on the cloudcast thingy below.
1. Surplus People: BY RDF
2. Scrap the church; BY 2,000DS
3. Go: BY THE DEFEKTERS
4. Spirit of 77: BY AOS3
5. 99% Uprising: BY BLACKSTAR DUB COLLECTIVE
6. Stonehenge pig bastards: BY BUFF
7. Last pain to skasville: BY PAIN
8. Fire up the engine of god: BY LACERTILLIA
9. Besties: BY CLUSTERFUCK
10. Awake for a reason (Slamfish remix): BY THE DHARMA VIOLETS
11. Living in a field: BY REALITY ATTACK
12. Government whores: BY TREVOR’S HEAD
13. Daily routine: BY BENJI 303
14. Coppers in the dance: BY THE AUTONOMADS
15. Broken Britain: BY THE SPORADICS
16. Back from the light: BY THE SKRAELINGS
17. Money people: BY CAPTAIN ACCIDENT
18. Molten: BY TRIBAZIK
19. Devil’s buttermilk: BY CHUBBY THUNDEROUS KUSH MASTERS
20. Smash it dub: BY DUB THE EARTH
21. Is this the future: BY THE OMEGA TRIBE
22. Something wrong with the right: BY THE CHALK OUTLINES
23. Shoeburyness: BY BLACK LIGHT SECRET
24. Byker Hill: BY KILNABOY
25. Hurry on sundown: BY HAWKWIND
First broadcast on 20th June 2017 on www.dapperfm.co.uk
High five to our sponsors, www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
As usual, our most recent show featured bands we have recently caught live, bands we are going to see in the next two weeks and some stuff relevant to current affairs.
But sadly, we had to kick off with a tribute to long time friend of the iguana Tribe, Anne Nicholson, who slipped away to the great after party in the sky on Monday 5th June. Anne was an inspiration and wise head to the many of us who knew her and will be sadly missed.
To listen again, click on the mixycloud thingy below
1. Baka: BY OUTBACK
2. One love Utah Saints remix: BY STONE ROSES
3. Dub scientist: BY HEADJAM
4. This town: BY THE SKINTS
5. Ravin raven: BY THE INEXPLICABLES
6. Festival twenty three; BY THE SPORADICS
7. Fatman: BY REGIME
8. My back is fucking fucked: BY PIZATRAMP
9. If you bomb somebody: BY DAVID ROVICS
10. Doesn’t make it alright: BY STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
11. On the goulash: BY COSMO AND FLAPSANDWICH
12. Taco: BY SMERINS ANTI-SOCIAL CLUB
13. Dear fear: BY THE EXCELLENT SKELETONS
14. Brothers on the slide: BY CYMANDE
15. Earn your stripes: BY CAPTAIN ACCIDENT
16. Nationalism: BY QELD
17. Elfstedentocht: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
18. Luciano Ponzetto: BY GRAND COLLAPSE
19. Liar liar GE2017 mix: BY CAPTAIN SKA
20. Where were you: BY THE MEKONS
21. Too far gone: BY THE WITCHES DRUM
22. Space shanty remix: BY LEFTFIELD
23. Do we really need a government: BY CAPITAL LETTERS
24. Strictly dub: BY DENNIS BOVELL
Originally broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on 6th June 2017
High five to our sponsored, www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
With Merthyr Rising on the horizon and an election around the corner, we lined up a play list heavy on the politics to get us in the mood. We play some of the bands playing the festival and look at some of the subjects that will be covered in the debates at the festival.
Tragically, twenty four hours before the show, thousands of kids went to a pop concert in the Manchester Arena and not everyone came home. So the show includes love vibrations going out to the Peoples Republic of Madchester.
Listen again below (WE SHOULD WARN YOU – AT THE VERY BEGINNING WE HAD THE MAIN BLOODY MIKE SWITCHED OFF!)
1. Life love and unity: BY DREADZONE
2. Are you ready for me: BY PRETTY VISCOUS
3. Le responsible: BY JACQUES DUTONIC
4. Connected: BY THE STEREO MCS
5. You’ve got the numbers: BY THEE FACTION
6. I wish the Guardian believed I exist: GRACE PETRIE AND THE PC BRIGADE
7. Freedom for Palestine: BY ONE WORLD
8. All my friends are freedom fighters: BY EFA SUPERTRAMP
9. Broken things: BY SOLOVO SOUNDSYSTEM
10. Heart and bones: BY DANIEL RACHEL
11. Jah war madness mix: RUTS DC
12. Stand down Margaret dub: BY THE BEAT
13. Cheap school meals: BY BLACK STAR DUB COLLECTIVE
14. Keep on keeping on: BY THE REDSKINS
15. Big A little a: BY CRASS
16. Won’t buy it: BY REGIME
17. Fall of capitalism part one: BY CONSCIOUS YOUTH
18. What a party: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
19. The devil went down to Ibiza: BY THE ALABAMA THREE
20. Breach the peace: BY SPIRAL TRIBE
21. Age of the robber barons: BY DAVID ROVICS
22. Chip away: BY TONY BENN
23. I feel like Jeremy Corbyn: BY SAM HARRISON
24. For the sake of the children: BY BEANS ON TOAST
25. Breaking into heaven: BY THE STONE ROSES
Show first broadcast on 23rd May 2017 on www.dapperfm.co.uk
Big fist pump to our sponsors www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales – the union for public service groovers
Show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
1. Janie Jones: BY THE CLASH
2. Janie Jones: BY CRIME FACTOR ZERO
3. Skankrobber: BY CARA MEANS FRIEND
4. Something wrong with the right: BY THE CHALK OUTLINES
5. Alchoholic drinks: BY SAMP BROTHERS
6. Punk wedding: BY NINA HAGEN
7. Sound and vision: B DAVID BOWIE
8. Barefoot in the carpark: BY SUZY CHUNK
9. Down the sewer: BY THE STRANGLERS
10. No time: BY THE SAINTS
11. Serve me: BY THE CABINET OF MILLIONAIRES
12. Hotter: BY THE GENTLEMAN’S DUB CLUB
13. Give it some beans: BY DEAD AT TWENTY SEVEN
14. Why so seagullrious: BY BANKRUPT PUG
15. Anarcho trustafarian: BY COSMO AND FLAPSANDWICH
16. DSP: BY THE SPORADICS
17. Area code: BY DREADZONE
18. Roxette: BY DR FEELGOOD
19. Progress: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
20. True sons of Zion: BY THIEVERY CORPORATION
21. Salt: BY THE BIGGEST THING SINCE POWDERED MILK
22. The biggest thing since powdered milk: BY BUDGIE
23. Police and thieves: BY JUNIOR MURVIN
On 28th March Lyn Williams, one of the directors of the Merthyr Rising Festival, joined us in the studio to chat about what is coming up at this year’s event, which takes place between 22nd and 28th May 2017.
We chatted about what is on the agenda this year, changes since last year and logistics – tickets and so on.
Ed Shearn might have 16 tunes in the ‘top twenty’, but there be plenty of tidy new music out there that aint Ed Sheeran. Some of it is on this show.
Also some hidden gems and tastrs for gigs coming up in the next few weeks.
You knows the score – cloudcast below
1. White riot: BY THE CLASH
2. Run like the river: BY VINTAGE TROUBLE
3. Superman three: BY JOHNNY CAGE AND THE VOODOO GROOVE
4. The lion is the king of the jungle: BY THE CHALK OUTLINES
5. Leaning on a lamppost: BY THE UKULELE ORCHESTRA OF GREAT BRITAIN
6. Whole lot of love: BY THE BELLRAYS
7. No borders: BY K SAN SOUND SYSTEM
8. The illusion of freedom: BY PRIMEVAL SOUP
9. Scratching her away: BY ANGIE KIRBY AND THE NAKED CITIZENS
10. In the river: BY FAB SAMPERI
11. Lions share: BY AND THE WASTERS
12. Holy slave: BY UNIVERSAL HIPPIES
13. Mountain top skank: BY DREADZONE
14. Ghost riders in the sky: BY KING KURT
15. Big: BY NEW FAST AUTOMATIC DAFFODILS
16. Riff Richard: BY CHUBBY THUNDEROUS KUSH MASTERS
17. Treading water: BY THE PETROL GIRLS
18. Drifting down the river of slack: BY COSMIC TRIGGER
19. Stoned again: BY GALLIANO
20. Black betty: BY SPIDERBAIT
21. Soul power: BY KOLOKO
22. Photogenic dub: BY YOUTH WITH GAUDI