There will, however, be a repeat of our last live show broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk.
Normal service will be resumed on 9th May
There will, however, be a repeat of our last live show broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk.
Normal service will be resumed on 9th May
Show dedicated to Cath and Dave – who be getting married over Easter
To listen again, go to the cloudcast below
First broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on 11/04/17
Show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
1. Janie Jones: BY THE CLASH
2. Janie Jones: BY CRIME FACTOR ZERO
3. Skankrobber: BY CARA MEANS FRIEND
4. Something wrong with the right: BY THE CHALK OUTLINES
5. Alchoholic drinks: BY SAMP BROTHERS
6. Punk wedding: BY NINA HAGEN
7. Sound and vision: B DAVID BOWIE
8. Barefoot in the carpark: BY SUZY CHUNK
9. Down the sewer: BY THE STRANGLERS
10. No time: BY THE SAINTS
11. Serve me: BY THE CABINET OF MILLIONAIRES
12. Hotter: BY THE GENTLEMAN’S DUB CLUB
13. Give it some beans: BY DEAD AT TWENTY SEVEN
14. Why so seagullrious: BY BANKRUPT PUG
15. Anarcho trustafarian: BY COSMO AND FLAPSANDWICH
16. DSP: BY THE SPORADICS
17. Area code: BY DREADZONE
18. Roxette: BY DR FEELGOOD
19. Progress: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
20. True sons of Zion: BY THIEVERY CORPORATION
21. Salt: BY THE BIGGEST THING SINCE POWDERED MILK
22. The biggest thing since powdered milk: BY BUDGIE
23. Police and thieves: BY JUNIOR MURVIN
We will be bringing ya the best new releases alongside previews of forthcoming gigs and celebrating a few anniversaries.
Expect Trigger Warning and the Safe Spaces, Public Service Broadcasting, Dead at 27 and the Clash.
Go to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm on Tuesday 11th April.
To intereact via antisocial medai go to the facebook event page
Show sponsored by UNISON, the union for public service groovers.
We chatted about what is on the agenda this year, changes since last year and logistics – tickets and so on.
To listen again, check out the cloud cast below. Continue reading LISTEN AGAIN: Iguana Radio # 142 – Merthyr Rising 2017 Special
The show will feature music from some of the bands performing this year and a chat about the films, debates and art that will be part of the diverse line up of this event.
To listen to the show live, go to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm till 10pm on Tuesday 28th March
The event marks the 1831 workers uprising. Throughout May 1831 the coal miners and others who worked for William Crawshay took to the streets of Merthyr Tydfil, calling for reform, protesting against the lowering of their wages and general unemployment. Gradually the protest spread to nearby industrial towns and villages and by the end of May the whole area was in rebellion, and it is believed that for the first time the red flag of revolution was flown as a symbol of workers’ revolt.
The event, now in its fourth year, is growing to become a major feature on the calendar of the labour movement, alongside Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival and the Durham Miners Gala. It takes place between the 22nd and 28th May 2017, climaxing in a three day music event in the town centre over the bank holiday weekend.
The event will include political debates, film screenings, art, theater and music. Headliners for the event are The Alabama Three and The Stereo MCs. There will also be a wide range of local beers and food available.
Merthyr Rising Festival and the Peppermint Iguana Radio Show are sponsored by UNISON, the union for public service groovers
For more info, go to http://www.merthyrrising.uk/
To interact via social media during ths show go to Facebook Event Page
To listen to the 2016 special, check out the cloudcast below
Also some hidden gems and tastrs for gigs coming up in the next few weeks.
You knows the score – cloudcast below
1. White riot: BY THE CLASH
2. Run like the river: BY VINTAGE TROUBLE
3. Superman three: BY JOHNNY CAGE AND THE VOODOO GROOVE
4. The lion is the king of the jungle: BY THE CHALK OUTLINES
5. Leaning on a lamppost: BY THE UKULELE ORCHESTRA OF GREAT BRITAIN
6. Whole lot of love: BY THE BELLRAYS
7. No borders: BY K SAN SOUND SYSTEM
8. The illusion of freedom: BY PRIMEVAL SOUP
9. Scratching her away: BY ANGIE KIRBY AND THE NAKED CITIZENS
10. In the river: BY FAB SAMPERI
11. Lions share: BY AND THE WASTERS
12. Holy slave: BY UNIVERSAL HIPPIES
13. Mountain top skank: BY DREADZONE
14. Ghost riders in the sky: BY KING KURT
15. Big: BY NEW FAST AUTOMATIC DAFFODILS
16. Riff Richard: BY CHUBBY THUNDEROUS KUSH MASTERS
17. Treading water: BY THE PETROL GIRLS
18. Drifting down the river of slack: BY COSMIC TRIGGER
19. Stoned again: BY GALLIANO
20. Black betty: BY SPIDERBAIT
21. Soul power: BY KOLOKO
22. Photogenic dub: BY YOUTH WITH GAUDI
First broadcast on 14th March 2017 on www.dapperfm.co.uk
Show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales the union for public service groovers
Its hard work writing new blurbs every week to tell you how tidy this show is. If you have heard it before you will already have formed your own opinion. If you aint, ask your mates, if you have any, or just bloody tune in.
This week there will be stuff like The Bellrays, Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters and The Universal Hippies.
Log on to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm till 10pm on Tuesday 14th March 2017.
Show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.w
to listen again, check out the cloudcast below
1. I feel alright: BY THE DAMNED
2. Saturday night in the city of the dead: BY ULTRAVOX
3. Black dues: BY DREADZONE
4. Fight to durvive: BY THIEVERY CORPORATION
5. Riot soundsystem: BY PRIMEVAL SOUP
6. Number one: BY SPANNER
7. This is Wales: BY THE BARRY HORNS
8. Le responsible: BY JAQUES DUTRONIC
9. Smash it dub: BY DUB THE EARTH
10. Father Todd and his official Faustian bargaining kit: BY SENDELICA
11. Happy: BY SPEEDOMETER
12. Dancing in the breeze: BY GENTLEMAN’S DUB CLUB
13. Start at the back: BY CULTURE SHOCK
14. Tin soldiers: BY STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
15. Marine migration: BY THE HANG MASSIVE
16. Sasstanaquam: BY TIARIWEN
17. The black dog aint turning back: BY MILK
18. Moluscs: BY MWSTARD
19. Sweeden: BY THE STRANGLERS
20. Bella ciao: BY THE DOG FACED HERMANS
21. Elevation: BY TELEVISION
22. Skiprat: BY BUFF
23. Hurricane: BY MAASSI WARRIOR
24. Blood moon: BY TREVORS HEAD
25. Get carter part three: BY JAH WOBBLE
First broadcast on Dapper FM on 28th February 2017
Show sponsored by Cwm Taf Local Governmnet Branch of UNISON
This is always bad news, cos there are bound to be some new tunes that fly through our radar between now and next week that we will feel forced to squeeze in. They are going to have to be real floor shakers to get onto this list though.
The play list mostly contains bands that are going to be playing gigs in the next three weeks and new releases that are too hot to leave out.
Without giving all of the game away, some of the gigs we will be previewing include Spanner, Dub the Earth, Sendelica and Speedometer, whilst some of the new releases featured will include Dreadzone, Thievery Corporation, Tiariwen and Mwstard. We will also be looking forward to the new film about Wales Expolits in Euro 2016 ‘Don’t take me home’.
Oh – and a look back at some of the albums released 40 years ago this week as punk was exploding.
It’s going to be one not to miss.
And a big high five to our sponsors at www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales .
To listen again, check out the cloud cast bellow:
1. Love is a four letter word: BY ROY BUDD
2. Je tem: BY FRANKIE HOWARD AND JUNE WHITFIELD
3. Our wedding: BY CRASS
4. Arsehole: BY GUTFULL
5. Music is the girl I love: BY THE GENTLEMAN’S DUB CLUB
6. Turning my heartbeat up: BY THE MVPS
7. Out of my mind: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
8. Wild women don’t have the blues: BY IDA COX
9. I can’t come – demo: BY THE SNIVELLING SHITS
10. Safety pin stuck in my heart: BY PATRICK FITZGERALD
11. Moving on: BY KILNABOY
12. Million reasons: BY THE HIGHTOWN PIRATES
13. Spunk box: BY MAN
14. You don’t love me: BY THE GODFATHERS
15. Bloody mother fucking arsehole: BY MARTHA WAINWRIGHT
16. Valentine’s day is over: BY BILLY BRAGG
17. Peace and love: BY MISTY IN ROOTS
18. Free world: BY KIRSTY MaCCOLL
19. Love thyself: BY SICK NOTE
20. Impossible: BY SPANNER
21. You suck: BY CONSOLIDATED AND THE YEASTIE GIRLS
22. Jeremy Kyle fucked my wife: THE GIROBABIES
23. Sensual woman: BY THE HERBALIZER
24. You make me sick: BY SATANS RATS
25. Not nowhere: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
26. Your hole is my only goal my love: BY PHAT BOLLARD
Originally broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk
Show sponsored by Cwm Taf Local Government Area Branch of UNISON, the union for public service lovers.
To mark this year’s St Valentine’s Day, Gail Something Else will be joining us once more in the studios of Dapper FM to spin some tunes with the theme of love running through the two hours. Don’t expect it to be all soppy though, cos most of the tunes will actually be anti-love songs.
This is Not a Love Song by PIL, Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division and Love Song by the Damned are just three of the songs that will not be featuring cos they are too predictable.
However, you might hear The Snivelling Shits, Muddy Summers and the Dirty Field Whores and Phat Bollard.
To find out what makes it on to the final play list, go to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm till 10pm GMT on Tuesday 14th February 2017.
Show sponsored, as usual, by UNISON, the union for public service lovers.
Listen again to show # 139 and dance in defiance of the lunatic in the Whitehouse
First broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on Tuesday 31st January 2017
1. California uber ales: BY THE DEAD KENNEDYS
2. Torch Guantanamo bay: BY SUICIDE BID
3. Phone in sick: BY SICK NOTE
4. Dull: BY SLEAFORD MODS
5. Kick out: BY BACK TO THE PLANET
6. Enough is enough: BY CREDIT TO THE NATION AND CHUMBAWAMBA
7. As one: KEENO AND PAT FULGONI
8. Pavlovs plumbs: BY SMERINS ANTISOCIAL CLUB
9. Fascist dictator: BY THE CORTINAS
10. Empires: BY ELECTRIC SWING CIRCUS
11. No turning back: BY SPEEDOMETER
12. Thinking of the USA: BY EATER
13. Pigs : BY PINK FLOYD
14. Far journeys: BY MIRROR SYSTEM
15. Work rest riot: BY SCUM OF TOYTOWN
16. Hamburger meat: BY THE DEFEKTERS
17. Chinese year of the rooster dub: BY JAH WOBBLE
18. Garry Gilmores eyes: BY THE ADVERTS
19. All you fascists: BY BILLY BRAGG AND WILCO
20. Fuck off: BY THE ELECTRIC CHAIRS
21. They’re building a wall: BY DAVID ROVICS
22. When the man comes around; BY JOHNNY CASH
Show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
Click below to hear them join Peppermint Iguana Radio in the studio live for their first ever venture into the world of internet radio.
First broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on Tuesday 24th January 2017
1. Can’t Take the Heartbreak: BY NOVACODA
2. Smokestack Lightnin’: BY HOWLIN WOLF
3. History repeating: BY PROPELLERHEADS
4. Kill all hippies: BY PRIMAL SCREAM
5.A leap of faith: BY SLOWCOOKEDGOOSE
6. Cough Cough: BY EVERYTHING EVERYTHING
7. Arsehole: BY GUTFULL
8. Tear down the law: BY THE SPORADICS
9. Programme the Deprogramme: BY LITTLE ERIS FEATURING SPANA MC –
10. Life on Mars: BY DAVID BOWIE
11. Pigs might fly: BY RAILROAD BILL
12. Jailhouse blues: BY JCS HOPELESS SINNERS
13. Hit it and Quit it : BY FUNKADELIC
14. Trapped: BY KING THING
15. It’s only natural; BY BEANS OF TOAST
16. Black Dog: LED ZEPPELIN
17. Brain Damage: BY PINK FLOYD
18. Big Rock Candy Mountain: BY HARRY ‘HAYWIRE’ MCCLINTOCK
19. Groove is in the Heart (remix): BY WOWZA
20. Right On! (Radio Edit): BY SILICONE SOUL
21. Aint been to no music school: BY THE NOSEBLEEDS
22. Panama: BY NOVACODA
to listen again – click on ye olde cloudcast below
1. Power generation: BY SPEEDOMETER
2. Sunflower lynchmob dub mix: BY PAUL WELLER
3. 1977: BY THE CLASH
4. Sick on you: BY THE BOYS
5. Crumbling land: BY PINK FLOYD
6. Imperial reggae: BY PANNONIA ALLSTARS SKA ORCHESTRA
7. It’s grim up north: BY THE KLF
8. Trump: BY CASSETTE BOY
9. Impeach the president: BY THE HONEYDRIPPERS
10. American idiot: BY GREEN DAY
11. Blood in the barrel: BY CAKEHOLE PRESLEY
12. Boil yer blood: BY JIM JONES AND THE RIGHTEOUS MIND
13. Groove in in the heart: BY DEEE LITE
14. Trouble on the green: BY THE CARNY VILLANS
15. U don’t dance to techno anymore: BY THE ALABAMA THREE
16. Better: BY NOVACODA
17. How many more times: PAT FULGONI
18. Hard loving man: BY JOHNNY MOPED
19. Banned from the roxy: BY CRASS
20. Teenage depression: BY EDDIE AND THE HOTRODS
21. Down town: BY PETULA CLARK
22. A forest bird never wants a cage: BY CONSCIOUS YOUTH
23. Seasons: BY DUB THE EARTH
24. Deep down and dirty: BY STEREO MCS
First brodcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on 17th January 2016
show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales
So forget the bullshit going on around you, clear a space, turn up the volume and just groove to the beat.
Playlist will include The KLF, Alabama Three, Pat Fulgoni, Conscious Youth, King Tubby, Dub the Earth and more.
Big love to our sponsors www.uniconcwmtaflocalgov.wales
To listen again, check out the cloudcast thing below
1. No leaders for the free: BY PAIN
2. The revolution will not be televised: BY GILL SCOTT HERON
3. Cold old fire: BY LYNCHED
4. Common ground: BY STICK IN THE WHEEL
5. Nation none the wiser: BY JOE YORKE
6. Ignorance is strength: BY BOLSHY
7. Freedom fighters: BY SPANNER
8. The Pleseymorgrath: BY THE JELVINS
9. Rentokill: BY RATBAG
10. Trees will fall: BY ATTERCOP
11. Freedom: BY CONSCIOUS YOUTH
12. Unarmed civilian: BY REGRET
13. Money for war: BY BEANS ON TOAST
14. Shut them down: BY DAVID ROVICS
15. CCTV: BY PIZZATRAMP
16. Touch me again: BY PETROL GIRLS
17. Deep cover: BY COSMO
18. Music and politics: BY DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY
19. Turncoat: BY GRAND COLLAPSE
20. Ecocide: BY RESISTANT CULTURE
21. Whoever invented the fishfinger: BY LEON ROSSELSON
22. ACAB: BY QUELD
23. Ahmed: BY LOWKEY
24. XXL: BY AKALA
First broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on Tuesday 3rd January 2017
Show sponsored by www.unisoncwmtaflocalgov.wales the union for public sector groovers
Tom will be adding a flavour of punk, folk and hip hop to this week’s show, including Atterkop, Tom Yorke and QUELD.
We will also be chatting with tom about things like anarchism, undercover cops, green gatherings and life in Newport.
To listen live, go to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm o’clock on Tuesday 3rd January 2017
Yes, ignore your workmates trying to drag you down the pub pretending to be your mate, tell the carol singers to do one, clear the floor for dancing. It’s the Christmas piss up you don’t need to leave the house for.
It’s the peppermint iguana radio show, sponsored by cwm taf local government unison, office knees up.
Expect a few Christmas tunes you won’t hear on any other show, alongside some no nonsense heads down boogie floor fillers
To listen again go to the cloud cast thingy below
1. Tear the place down: BY THE TOP CATS
2. Christmas shoppers paradise: BY CARTER THE UNSTOPPABLE SEX MACHINE
3. 2016: BY BEANS ON TOAST
4. Run Rudolph run: BY LEMMY
5. Rocking around with you: BY TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS
6. Rub a dum dum: BY THE YOBS
7. Transistor sister: BY THE ELECTRIC GROOVE TEMPLE
8. Move yourself: BY THE HEADMIX COLLECTIVE
9. Christmas Carpenters: BY GO HOME PRODUCTIONS
10. Jungle bells: BY SKINDRED
11. Dub jig: BY MANDRAGORA
12. Children of the sleigh: BY SANTA SABBATH
13. Aint no chimneys in the projects: BY SHARON JONES AND THE DAP KINGS
14. American Jesus: BY BAD RELIGION
15. Try dem best: BY THE MAJESTIC
16. Jingle bells: BY BROOKER T AND THE MGS
17. The snake: BY AL WILSON
18. Great together: BY CAKEHOLE PRESLEY
19. A very steam punk Christmas: BY THE MEN THAT WILL NOT BE BLAMED FOR ANYTHING
20. Ebeneezer goode: BY THE SHAMEN
21. Outer space: BY YOUTH AND GAUDI
22. Messiah: BY TANGLED FEET
23. Get down santa: BY THE JIVE TURKEYS
24. Merry Christmas from Hatfiled main: BY JO SOLO
25. Santa Clause dub: BY THE AGROVATORS
26. Santa: BY SKINNER AND TWITCHETT
27. I believe in father Christmas: BY GREG LAKE
28. What are you doing on new years eve: HARRY CONNICK JUNIOR
First broadcast 20th December 2016 on www.dapperfm.co.uk
Show sponsored by Cwm Taf Local Government Branch of UNISON, the union for public service groovers
There are a still a few gigs coming up with the potential to be highlights of 2016, so for our penultimate show of the year a few of those bands popped by to help us get the party started.
To listen again, check out the cloudcast below
1. Electric Worry: BY CLUTCH
2. Hey dude: BY KULA SHAKER
3. Everything is cool: BY THE KARMINSKY EXPERIENCE
4. Huge ever growing pulsating brain: BY THE ORB
5. Love: BY THE SPORADICS
6. Salt: BY MILK
7. Turning my heartbeat up: BY THE MVPs
8. Love train: BY THE WOODENTOPS
9. Smoke: BY INNER TERESTRIALS
10. Sky high: BY CULTURESHOCK
11. Bridgend pink Floyd fan: BY CAKEHOLE PRESLEY
12. Kick out: BY BACK TO THE PLANET
13. Jimmy diggin cats: BY THE DIGABLE PLANETS
14. Purple haze: BY JIMMY JONES AND THE KING CASUALS
15. Borderline: BY RDF
16. Judy says: BY THE VIBRATORS
17. Kings of the world: BY DEPARTMENT S
18. Psychic attack: BY RUTS DC
19. Thank you reggae: BY JAYA THE CAT
20. Well I’ve been told: BY CAPTAIN ACCIDENT
21. Journey to Agratha: BY LACERTILLIA
22. Racist copper: BY KING PRAWN
23. Valium: BY BAD SAM
24. Three kills and you’re out: BY PIZZATRAMP
25. Extreme dub: BY DUBMERGE
26. Slick Steve: BY THE INEXPLICABLES
27. Every festival she does: BY ONE BLOKE AND A MANDOLIN
28. Let the fat lady sing: BY BEANS ON TOAST
We will also be squeezing in a few of the best releases from the year and if we have time chuck in a few party tunes, just cos it is that time of year.
Expect The Orb, Clutch, Sporadics, Radical Dance Faction, Inner Terrestrials, Laceretillia, Karminsky Expereince, MILK and much much more.
To listen live, tune in to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm till just after 10pm on Tuesday 6th December 2016
Big love to Cwm Taf Local Government Area Branch of UNISON, the union for public service groovers, our sponsors for 2016
Go to the cloud cast below to check out two hours of chat and music, featuring a play list of all female fronted bands along with tales of singing novelty songs at men with guns, turning a merch stall into a full blown festival and getting all unnecessary in the House of Lords. She even gets her guitar out and does a track for us live on air.
1. Oh Bondage up yours: BY EX RAY SPEX
2. Homophobia: BY CHUMBUWAMBA
3. Need a little sugar in my bowl: BY BESSIE SMITH
4. Little baby swastika: BY SKUNK ANANSIE
5. Shave em dry: BY LUCILLE BOGAN
6. Where has our soul gone
7. Mansplaning: BY THE WIMMINS INSTITUTE
8. Freedom fighters: BY THE DEFEKTERS
9. Jenny and the changeling: BY THREE DAFT MONKEYS
10. Green green grass: BY THE BREWERS DAUGHTER
11. Oh no max mix one: BY SKKEWIFF
12. Don’t google that lump: BY HATTIE HATSTER
13. Betrayal: BY DOGSHITE
14. Free rob will: BY HONEYWITCH
15. Get orf my tits live session: BY GAIL SOMETHING ELSE
16. Jack shit: BY EFA SUPERTRAMP
17. Whose army: BY SUZY CONRAD
18. Heard it on the grapevine: BY THE SLITS
19. False peace: BY THE PETROL GIRLS
20. I drank the levellers rider: BY TARANTISM
21. Between your legs: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
22. Anarchy in the UK: BY THE UKULELE ORCHESTRA OF GREAT BRITAIN
Show first broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on 22/11/16
Show sponsored by Cwm Taf Local Government Area branch of UNISON
To listen to our fireside chat, click on the linky link
1. Fire: BY THE GENTLEMAN’S DUB CLUB
2. On top: BY THE BELLRAYS
3. A song for bloke: BY THE LEVELLERS
4. Ronnie: BY THE SPORADICS
5. Faron young: BY PREFAB SPROUT
6. EVA: BY JEAN JAQUES PERREY
7. Eternal wheel: BY OZRIC TENTACLES
8. Dirty field whore: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
9. In me shed: BY PUNKS NOT DAD
10. Truth and Justice: BY THE HURRIERS
11. Angry planet: BY NEW MODEL ARMY
12. Rebel soul: BY RADICAL DANCE FACTION
13. Dub version two: BY THE LAST TREE SQUAD
14. American idiot: BY RICHARD CHEESE
15. And the motorcade sped on: BY STIENSKY AND THE MASS MEDIA
16. Home sweet home: BY THE BREWERS DAUGHTER
17. Le grande bête: BY LE COD AFRIQUE
18. Churchill: BY AOS3
19. Calais nights; BY SKINNER AND TWITCHETT
20. I wanna be sedated: BY NOUVELLE VAGUE
21. Making a monster: BY DUB WAR
22. Golden Clouds: BY THE ORB WITH LEE SCRATCH PERRY
23. Dub Documentary: BY RIDDIM TUFFA
First broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on Tuesday 08/11/16
Show sponsored by Cwm Taff Local Government Area Branch of UNISON, the union for public service groovers
We could fill several dozen shows paying tribute to the man, and still only have scratched the surface of his importance. But with only two hours to fill, we opted to pick some of our favourite ‘Peel Sessions’, alongside tunes that we caught on his show for the first time that left a lasting impression on us. We also snuck in some brand new releases and demos – which we think John would have approved of. This gives us plenty of options if we end up doing a show for his birthday!
To listen again, clickety click on the cloudcast below
1. Dot dash: BY FAT BOY SLIM
2. No fun: BY THE ORB – Peel session from 12/05/92 peel session
3. Pickin the blues: BY GRINDERSWITCH – When Peel’s previous vehicle Top Gear came to an end in September 1975, rather than have a specially recorded theme (as the Nice had done for the aforementioned show), John merely chose something from what one assumes was his own collection. ‘Pickin’ The Blues’ subsequently topped and tailed almost every show from 29 September 1975 and can still be heard introducing the 29 February 1992 show. However, it was eventually dropped, to be replaced by Corporation-manufactured items.
4. Pusherman: BY GOLDIE LOOKIN CHAIN
5. New England: BILLY BRAGG – Peel Session from 27/07/83
6. Folk the police: BY THE PEATBOG FAIRIES
7. Coronation street dub: BY IZZY ROYAL
8. TV Stars: BY THE SKIDS – Peel Session from 16/05/78
9. Another girl another planet: BY THE ONLY ONES – Peel Session from 05/04/78
10. Change: BY KILLING JOKE Peel Session from 05/03/80
11. Jolene: BY DOLLY PARTON – in the days before cd peel often accidentally played vinyl songs at wrong speed. This is intentionally payed at wrong sped and is arguable better than it is at the correct speed.
12. Can’t take the heartbreak: BY NOVA CODA
13. Bankrobber: BY ANHREFEN AND ONE STYLE MDV
14. Political thing: BY ZION TRAIN
15. Brand new life: BY YOUNG MARBLE GIANTS Peel session from 18/08/16
16. I saw batman in the launderette: BY THE SHAPES
17. Dub on leaf street: BY THE CO-OPPERATORS
18. City of lights: BY VIVA ZAPATA
19. Velociraprute: BY CYBERNETIC WITCH CULT
20. In a flat field: BY BAUHAUS Peel Session from 03/01/80
21. Halloween: BY SKINNER AND TWITCHETT
22. Devil at your door: BY THE BASTARD JOE KELLY
23. Johnny remember me: BY JOHN COOPER CLARKE AND HUGH CORNWALL
24. Anti-pope: BY KING Peel Session from 11/07/78 (rare recording of Captain Sensible project between the Damned first splitting up and reforming back in 1978)
25. Charlie Jones: BY JOHNNY CAGE AND THE VOODOO GROOVE
26. Woolf man howl: BY THE VIBRATORS
27. Teenage kicks: BY NOUVELLE VAGUE
28. Rain: BY LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO
First broadcast on www.dapperfm.co.uk on 25/10/16
Show sponsored by UNISON Cwm Taf Local Government Area Branch
John Peel died suddenly at the age of 65 from a heart attack on 25 October 2004, on a working holiday in the Inca city of Cusco in Peru.
We can but dream of one day being fit to lace his boots, but we can pay tribute to him on this week’s show. So we will.
Back in the days when it was acceptable for young boys to go to school in the morning and proudly announce they had been hidden under their bedsheets with a ‘tranny’, many of us will have spent many an evening listening to the John Peel show on a little transistor radio when we were supposed to be getting a good night’s sleep.
Who amongst us did not find ourselves scrabbling for pen and paper after hearing a tune that flicked our switch for the first time.
It is fair to say, over the years, he played an awful lot of crap, but you knew that somewhere on the show you would hear a tune that would change your life.
So this week, alongside the new releases from the underground that John would want us to champion, we will also feature some of the tunes that ‘Uncle John’ turned us on to. We will also try to dig out a few of those legendary Peel Sessions that could often make the career of young hopefuls.
To listen live, tune in to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm o’clock UK time on Tuesday 25th October 2016.
As usual, high five to our sponsors, Cwm Taf Local Government Area Branch of UNISON.
The new style show first bloomed live on 11/10/16 and can be listened to again by clicking on the cloud cast thingy below
1. New rose: BY THE DAMNED
2. Revolution radio: BY GREEN DAY
3. 2016: BY BEANS ON TOAST
4. Mind wash: BY CULTURE SCHOCK Continue reading LISTEN AGAIN: Peppermint Iguana Radio # 129 – New bloom
We thought it had been lost in the bowels of the computer, but we have rolled up our selves, plugged ourselves into the matrix and gone deep into the hard drive of the station server and dragged it out kicking and screaming.
John’s departure also marks our fifth anniversary. In those five years we have done 127 shows, taking up over 300 hours of airtime (that is the equivalent of broadcasting nonstop for 12 and a half days) and we have played 3,500 tunes. We have had a dozen guests on the show, broken the system twice (well, Corky was to blame for one of those times) had over 500 disagreements and 35 full blown rows live on air including, on one occasion, John getting up and walking out in the middle of the show.
But here we have it, John’s last show – a three and a half hour special. It was a sort of greatest hits thing, John playing his favourite tunes from his time on the show and Clint playing his favourite new discoveries from the last half decade. Remarkably, we actually got on well for three of the three and a half hours.
To listen again, press the play button on the mixcloud widget below
And the play list was —
1. Rise up: BY THE MOB
2. Black lightening: BY THE BELLRAYS Continue reading LISTEN AGAIN: Peppermint Iguana Radio Show – JOHN’S FAREWELL SPECIAL
Now we can really get stuck into Clint’s extensive back catalogue of underground music from the last half decade and can feature more of those hot new releases and demos.
Without the ginger one constantly interrupting we will have time to get stuck into some proper experimental psychedelic funky dubiness and will be able to throw in more of those 12” mixes and album tracks that John used to whinge about.
Oh – and by coincidence, there has been a bit of a change in the sponsor department. Rhondda Cynon Taff UNISON, is no more, they have merged with Merthyr Tydfil UNISON and are now going by the name of Cwm Taf Local Government UNISON.
To listen live, go to www.dapperfm.co.uk from 8pm (UK Time) on Tuesday 11th October 2016
As we rapidly approach five years of being on air, Ginger (almost) Gone has decided to hang up his headphones. Show 128, our fifth birthday, will be his last show. So for the last two shows he will be revisiting some of his favourite tunes that he has spun in the last half decade, including PAIN, Dr Alimontado and Ty karim.
He also paid tribute to ska legend Prince Buster who went to the great dancehall in the sky on 8th September.
Clint is not going anywhere though and will continue to bring you the best of the underground. This week his play was heavily loaded with bands playing the last festival of the season, Something Else in the Dean, which takes place in the forest of dean over 23/24/25 September.
He also paid tribute to Graham Wiggins, AKA Dr Didg, who sadly passed away in his sleep on 7th September
To listen again, check out ye olde coudcast below.
1. Earthquake: BY PRINCE BUSTER
2. Rough lover: BY ARETHA FRANKLIN
3. Baka: BY OUTBACK
4. Rave on: BY DR DIDG
5. Neat neat neat: BY THE DAMNED
6. Crackdown remix: BY TWENTY FIFTH OF MAY
7. Freedom Fighters: BY THE DEFEKTERS
8. Freedom fighters: BY SPANNER
9. Lighten up baby: BY TY KARIM
10. Born for a purpose: BY DR ALIMONTADO
11. Streets: BY PHAT BOLLARD
12. Twenty four seven: BY DUB THE EARTH
13. Shake em up: BY UK DECAY
14. Legion: BY THEATRE OF HATE
15. Not nowhere: BY MUDDY SUMMERS AND THE DIRTY FIELD WHORES
16. Disturbing one: BY TARANTISM
17. Just a little bit: BY ROSCOE GORDON
18. Grow more weed: BY PAIN
19. Music must destroy: BY RUTS DC
20. Sky high: BY CULTURE SHOCK
21. Subway joe: BY JOE BATTAN
22. Move way Babylon: BY ROGER ROBINSON
23. Mouths wide shut: BY CAPTAIN ACCIDENT
24. Hey aliens: BY THE BOUNCING SOULS
25. Why must I cry: BY PETER TOSH
26. You dont know: BY ELLIE GREENWICH
27. May you never: BY JOHN MARTIN
28. I dont wanna go home: BY DOOZER McDOOZE
First broadcast live on community radio station www.dapperfm.co.uk
High fives to our sponsors, Rhondda Cynon Taff UNISON, the union for public service groovers.
David Cameron thought he was being clever by distracting the nation from the debate about grammar schools by announcing his retirement (we thought he fucked off weeks ago!). But his announcement was itself trumped by former grammar school boy Silver John announcing his own retirement. Continue reading The Atrist Formerly Known as Ginger John to step down from Peppermint Iguana Radio Show
Yes, the festival season is coming to a close, so this week we will be giving a big shout out to Gail and the crew and playing a selection of bands playing the final festy of the year.
Clint will also pay tribute to Dr Didg, who was taken from us in his sleep recently. John will no doubt be giving a shout out to ska legend Prince Buster, who also left the building since our last show.
To listen live, go to www.dapperfm.co.uk on Tuesday 13th August 2016.
And big hugs to Rhondda Cynon Taff UNISON, the union for public service groovers, who have recently renewed their sponsorship of the show.