On 7th November 2017, we went out live and direct, broadcasting to the free world, with a show that marked one hundred years to the day, since the October Revolution in Russia.
On 7th November 1917 the Red Guard occupied government buildings in Petrograd, in preparation of the storming of the winter palace, which took place on 8th November.
The start of ten days that shook the world, ten days that had an impact on every man woman and child on the planet, ten days that are still reverberating around the world today.
There are far better places to go for a history lesson of those one hundred years, but we had a go at reflecting on the last century using rock and roll as our media of choice.
From October 1917 itself, through plots and coups, through wars, cold and hot, through the expansion of an ideology to the collapse of an empire.
Listen again, to two hours that shook the world, by clicking on the cloudcast below.
- Theme from the hunt for red October: BY THE RED ARMY CHOIR
- Revolution radio: BY STRAWBERRY BLONDES
- History of the Russian revolution part one October: BY WAT TYLER
- Revolution rock: BY THE CLASH
- Centenary dub: BY THE REVOLUTIONARY DUB WARRIORS
- Back in the USSR: BY CRISIS
- Lev Bronstein: BY THE REDSKINS
- What about di working class: BY LINTON KWESI JOHNSON
- Bella ciao: BY THE RED ARMY CHOIR
- No more heroes: BY THE STRANGLERS
- Stalin wasn’t stallin: BY THE GOLDEN GATE JUBILEE QUARTET
- The Russians are coming: BY VAL BENNETT
- The Russians are coming: BY CAPTAIN SENSIBLE
- So afraid of the Russians: BY MADE FOR TV
- Theme tune to The ipcress file: BY JOHN BARRY
- Holiday in Cambodia: BY THE DEAD KENNEDYS
- Gagarin: BY PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
- Revolution of thought: BY BACK TO THE PLANET
- In Gorbachev we trust: BY THE SHAMEN
- Market sector one: BY ATTILA THE STOCKBROKER
- Bloody revolutions: BY CRASS
- Free pussy riot: BY DOGSHITE
- Capitalism is good for corporations that is why we have been told socialism is bad: BY THEE FACTION
- From Russia with love: BY MATT MONRO
First broadcast on community radio station www.dapperfm.co.uk on 7th November 2017
Show sponsored by UNISON, the union for public service groovers